Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Ongoing Conversion

My understanding of Christianity is that we are to strive for moral perfection while simultaneously understanding that we will never achieve it. The practical outgrowth of this truth is that we are to continually and constantly undergo conversion. Always striving for and achieving a better moral outlook, a more refined practice of the key principles of living a good life. Jesus neatly summed this up for us with the Two Greatest Commandments: Love the Lord you God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself.

So, I guess what I'm getting after today is this: shouldn't a moral code that can be neatly summed up in two commandments and one sentence be a little easier to follow?

Ok, maybe it's just me. I see others around me doing a pretty good job. And I guess I do ok, up to a point. I'm good at the striving part.

I alluded to this the other day, but I think half my problem is that I worry about it so much. Fretting about how good or bad I am doesn't do anything to furhter my goal of being a better man. The fact is that I don't even know what the proper standard is to measure myself against. And, as I think I've said before as well, I'm not sure any of this stuff I'm fretting about is even any of my business. I can't think of a more unobjective judge for myself than myself. Well, maybe my Mom, she's always had a very high opinion of me for some reason.