Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Holy Mary, Mother of God


As if the incarnation itself wasn't audacious enough, I mean, the very thought of God himself becoming a man (as someone said once, it's so outrageous it must be true), as if that wasn't enough, he chose a human being to be the means by which he came into the world! God could have accomplished the incarnation differently, of course, but he didn't. He chose a woman to bear his Son. What kind of woman would that have had to be? And what should we make of her now?

If you look at it from that perspective, and not from a protestant perspective, it is only natural that Christians honor and love and magnify the Blessed Virgin Mary. Of course we do! How could we not? When my eyes were opened to this, I felt a sense of loss for the time I had lived without the knowledge of having a loving Mother in heaven. That sense of loss, though was quickly consumed by the intense preciousness of my new found joy in Mary.